XP Mail Archive: RE: XP> Suggested rationale for the present

RE: XP> Suggested rationale for the presentation module

From: BIGELOW,JIM (HP-Boise,ex1) (jim.bigelow@hp.com)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 14:46:14 EST

    Elliott wrote:
    > Don said "simple client". I think he was allowing a client
    > program to be very naive about formatting, and using the
    > presentation module as a convenience. It seems that a
    > complying printer has to implement the other stuff regardless.
    >
    > And, if I've understood it right, that logic makes sense to me.

    How about this wording?

    "The Presentation module, section 5.4.1 of [XHTMLMOD] is supported
    since it allows a very simple user agent to support font variants.
    The module contains elements that are both structural and presentational,
    provides the only method for specifying rules (the hr element), and
    allows very simple clients that might not support CSS the means for
    identifying font variants such as bold and italic. This module also
    contains the structural mark up commands for superscripts and subscripts
    that allow simple clients to identify and format these construct without
    CSS properties. Supporting this module allows a client to render these
    common elements in a manner that appropriate for its capabilities."

    Jim Bigelow,
    Editor: XHTML-Print & CSS Print Profile
    IEEE, Printer Working Group
    http://www.pwg.org/xhtml-print