XP Mail Archive: RE: XP> FW: Last call announcement for XHTM

RE: XP> FW: Last call announcement for XHTML Print

From: BIGELOW,JIM (HP-Boise,ex1) (jim.bigelow@hp.com)
Date: Thu Jul 31 2003 - 16:53:00 EDT

    Elliott,

    You wrote:

    > I reviewed the public version and here are a few comments.

    > 5. Section 2.3.1, "Images" section, fourth bullet. It used
    > to say "Image data within the object element need not be
    > supported." and now it says "A printer MAY choose to omit
    > images referenced by a URI [RFC2396] containing a scheme name
    > other than cid [RFC2392] and http [RFC2616] ." I'm confused.

    The rewording is an attempt to say, in the positive, what URI types must be
    supported and by implication that support for the data URI is not required.

    Perhaps it should actually say that in the positive :-). For example,

    A printer must support images referenced by a URI [RFC2396] containing a
    scheme name cid [RFC2392] and http [RFC2616], support for other scheme names
    is optional. However, support for a URI containing the data scheme name [REF
    NEEDED] is not required unless the printer chooses to implement the method
    for supporting in-line data given in Appendix B.3.

    Jim