XP Mail Archive: XP> RE: XHTML-Print: change of url from xht

From: BIGELOW,JIM (HP-Boise,ex1) (jim.bigelow@hp.com)
Date: Thu Sep 04 2003 - 15:44:05 EDT

    Jonny,

    Thanks for the question.

    If a document with the w3c DTD is sent to a printer that shipped with
    firmware written using the spec saying that conforming XHTML-Print documents
    must have a DTD containing a URL to the xhtml-print.org DTD, then the it is
    possible that the document wouldn't print correctly, even though the printer
    is not validating.

    In the extreme case, it is possible that the document wouldn't print at all,
    since Section 2.3.1, item 1 says, "A printer MAY ignore or otherwise reject
    a non-conforming XHTML-Print document."

    I think we're all better off avoiding things that could make the user
    unhappy! :-)

    Jim