XP Mail Archive: RE: XP> CSS3 Page Media update published: F

RE: XP> CSS3 Page Media update published: FW: W3C Member Newslett er, Volu me 9, No. 9: 12 September 2003

From: BIGELOW,JIM (HP-Boise,ex1) (jim.bigelow@hp.com)
Date: Mon Sep 29 2003 - 18:10:19 EDT

    Elliott,

    You wrote ( Wednesday, September 24, 2003 5:34 AM )
    > One question: 8.5.2 bullet 2 says "The rendering of the hr
    > element is implementation dependent." This appears to be
    > new. What was the discussion that led to this point? How is
    > this different than the statement in 8.5.1?

    The PWG spec [1] contains the following paragraph, embedded in the Enhanced
    layout style sheet, following the rule set "hr { border: 1px }" :
      "Inset is not support, representation of the rule is implementation
    dependant."

    When I reviewed the W3C spec [2] I thought it would be better to move the
    statement out of the style sheet. So it became:
     2. The rendering of the hr element is implementation dependent.

    My intent was that the two statements be equivalent, I see now that
    "representation of the rule" might not be interpreted as equivalent to
    "rendering of the hr element" especially when taken out of the context of
    the hr rule set and without the addition, explicit statement that "Inset is
    not support[ed]".

    However, I wonder if putting it at the beginning of the style sheet does get
    the reader's attention where it might be missed in it's embedded in the
    sheet.

    Jim

    [1] http://www.pwg.org/xhtml-print/HTML-Version/CSS-Print-20030331.html
    [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-css-print-20030813/