XP Mail Archive: RE: XP> CSS3 Page Media update published: F

RE: XP> CSS3 Page Media update published: FW: W3C Member Newslett er, Volu me 9, No. 9: 12 September 2003

From: BIGELOW,JIM (HP-Boise,ex1) (jim.bigelow@hp.com)
Date: Mon Sep 29 2003 - 19:06:19 EDT

    Elliott,

    I forgot to answer the last question:
    > ... How is
    > this different than the statement in 8.5.1?

    8.5.1 says:
    8. The hr element should be treated as if its area, as defined by its height
    and width, were outlined by a one pixel wide, solid line. The default line
    should be one pixel high and the width of the containing box.

    This description is based on the CSS 2 default style sheet ruleset:

    HR { border: 1px inset }

    8.5.2 says two things, based on the above rule set and the enhanced layout
    increased capabilities:
    2. The rendering of the hr element is implementation dependent
    hr { border: 1px }

    In the enhance layout case the user has the ability to specify something
    other than a border of 1px since the border property is supported. So an
    enhanced layout printer must have a more flexible implementation of the hr
    than the fixed one suggested in item 8 of 8.5.1. However, the full range of
    rules is still not part of the enhanced layout, so it must be left up to the
    printer (it's implementation dependent) how the hr actually looks (3d, 2d,
    empty box, filled box, etc.).

    Well, that's my take on it. Comments?

    Jim