XP> [CSS3 Paged Media] Page collapsing

From: Grant, Melinda (melinda.grant@hp.com)
Date: Wed Sep 13 2006 - 22:21:28 EDT

    The CSS Paged Media specification
    (http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/CR-css3-page-20040225/) is currently unclear
    as to what should happen when multiple page-break-* properties
    accumulate. The spec is clear that a :left or :right pseudo-class can
    require that a blank page or surface is generated.

    For example:
             The first div causes a page break; does the second div cause
    another page break, putting this content on page 3, or are the page
    breaks collapsed into a single page break so that this is printed on
    page 2?</div>

    Or:

    first page.

    Or:

             The p generated a page break; does the div cause another page
    break, putting this content on page 3, or are the page breaks collapsed
    into a single page break so that this is printed on page 2?

    Different implementations behave differently, as might be expected. I
    would like to tighten up the spec to require that page-break properties
    collapse such that no empty pages or surfaces are generated except for
    one when needed to get to the next right- or left-facing page. Authors
    can use other means to create blank pages. This will make results more
    interoperable.

    (I do not yet have consensus from the CSS WG to make this change. Most
    implementations collapse pages, but Opera's does not, and they may not
    be willing to accept the change.)

    If you wish to object to this proposed clarification or express support,
    please do so by posting a response here or to www-style@w3.org by
    September 23.

    Best wishes,

    Melinda