RE: XP> [CSS Paged Media] Margin Boxes and the Page Border

From: Kojima Shoji (Kojima.Shoji@exc.epson.co.jp)
Date: Wed Sep 27 2006 - 18:26:00 EDT

    Hello Melinda-san,

    I know it may be late. But I think this is one of the important things for basic concept of XHTML.
    So I would like to make some comment for this issue.

    Epson understands one of the most important benefit of XHTML is preservation of contents.
    These proposals seems that some of contents could be lost. Contents creator must think about possibility of lost of data depending on devices which shows contents, display, printed paper and so on. It brings another complexity to authors. It is sometimes unexpected for authors. We should be careful for such important things.
    I may make misunderstanding.. If so please let me know.

    Best Regards

    ---
    Shoji KOJIMA

    -----Original Message----- From: owner-xp@pwg.org [mailto:owner-xp@pwg.org] On Behalf Of Grant, Melinda Sent: Friday, September 22, 2006 7:15 AM To: xp@pwg.org Subject: XP> [CSS Paged Media] Margin Boxes and the Page Border

    The CSS WG is reviewing CSS3 Paged Media in preparation for publishing a new version. Some questions have been raised and some proposals for changes made.

    * Section 4.2 defines margin boxes so that they do not extend across the page border. This creates a gap of one border width between, for example, the 'top-left-corner' and the 'top-left' boxes. (An example test file is attached.) The WG proposes to change this. (We haven't yet discussed the specifics of how it will be changed. I assume we will allow the non-corner boxes to extend across the border region so that they are contiguous with the corner boxes.)

    * Section 4.2 also describes how overconstrained margin boxes should be resolved. "Values of the 'width', 'height', 'padding', 'margin', and 'border' properties for these boxes that result in a value larger than the maximum MUST be ignored from the outside in, that is first the margin, then the border, and so forth." The CSS WG proposes to change this so that padding and border are never ignored (instead, boxes will overlap). This is more consistent with other cases of overconstraint within CSS.

    If you have objections to either of these proposed changes, please respond ASAP! Best wishes, Melinda

    _____

    HP - Melinda Grant Connectivity Standards Consumer Printing and Imaging +1 (541) 582-3681 melinda.grant@hp.com _____