[IPP] Updated stable draft of IPP 2.0, 2.1, and 2.2 posted

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 20:30:37 UTC 2015

Hi Mike,

About 'dateTime' - the problem is *not* in IPP/2.x (as you found)

It's in IPP Everywhere section 5.3 Table 6 "IPP Everywhere Required
Printer Description Attributes", where "printer-config-change-date-time"
and "printer-state-change-date-time" are both listed as REQUIRED.
But the underlying "printer-current-time (dateTime)" attribute is NOT
listed as REQUIRED and it's OPTIONAL in section 4.4.30 of IPP/1.1
Model (RFC 2911).  This bug affects logging and notifications as well.

This defect was reported in September 2014 against IPP Everywhere,
with the suggested fix of raising "printer-current-time" to RECOMMENDED.
But that doesn't fix the need for Printer objects, log records, and
notifications
to have real date-time stamps.

This bug in IPP Everywhere is marked "UNKNOWN"  for status.

I think we need a hard look at the side effects of forgetting our (obvious)
intent to make "printer-current-time" REQUIRED in IPP Everywhere.

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
mailto: blueroofmusic at gmail.com