[IPP] job-password-repertoire, job-password-supported, and job-password-input-supported

Kennedy, Smith smith.kennedy at hp.com
Tue Nov 17 13:03:22 UTC 2015

Greetings,

I recall both from memory and by reviewing the minutes of the October 19 meeting (http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/minutes/ippv2-concall-minutes-20151019.pdf <http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/minutes/ippv2-concall-minutes-20151019.pdf>) that we discussed creating a new "job-password-input-supported" attribute:

⁃ Value of 0 means password can be empty.
⁃ Add reference to PWG 5100.11 (JPS2)
⁃ Change to "job-password-input-supported (rangeOfInteger(0:MAX))"
⁃ Clarify that this reflects the number of characters entered by the user (on the Client or Printer)
⁃ Upper range MAY be different than job-password-supported since that attribute refers to the number of octets in the password that are hashed vs. the number of characters
The belief that "job-password-supported" refers to "the supported number of octets in the password that are hashed" turns out to be incorrect.  Quoting 5100.11 section 10.3, the definition for "job-password-supported" says this:
The "job-password-supported" attribute indicates the maximum length that the Printer will accept for the unencrypted password which the client will encrypt as the value of the "job-password" Operation Attribute.

Creating this new attribute would reverse our earlier long standing agreed-upon position that creating a new range attribute would be unnecessary.  But our interpretation in that meeting was incorrect.  So I'm not going to create a range, as per the minutes from Oct. 19

I've made a comment in the document so that we can discuss in the next meeting if we don't get to this on the reflector.

Smith

/**
    Smith Kennedy
    Wireless Architect - Client Software - IPG-PPS
    Standards - IEEE ISTO PWG / Bluetooth SIG / Wi-Fi Alliance / NFC Forum / USB IF
    PWG Chair
    HP Inc.
*/