[IPP] IPP "status-code" *is* a type2 enum in 2911/2911bis

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 20:41:12 UTC 2016

Hi Mike,

Reviewing IPP minutes from 12/07, I found:

⁃ status-code isn't a type2 enum attribute, it is a parameter; see the
following for example text (although I think I'll swap the status
message and natural language paragraphs for the next draft):
  ⁃ https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sweet-rfc2911bis-05#page-38

But in the 2911 and your latest 2911bis-06 draft, it says:

4.1.6.  Operation Response Status Codes and Status Messages

   Every operation response includes a REQUIRED "status-code" parameter
   and MAY include the RECOMMENDED "status-message" and OPTIONAL
   "detailed-status-message" operation attributes.  The Print-URI and
   Send-URI response MAY include an OPTIONAL "document-access-error"
   operation attribute.

4.1.6.1.  "status-code" (type2 enum)

   The REQUIRED "status-code" parameter provides information on the
   processing of a request...

So despite the "special encoding rules" for "status-code" with in the
earlier
section 4.1.1 of 2911bis, the spec later describes it as a parameter but
also
specifies its semantics as a type 2 enum in operation responses.

I suggest that it's section 4.1.1 of 2911bis that's wrong (and should
forward
reference section 4.1.6 below) and that the "special encoding rules" text
is
gratuitous obscurity.

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
mailto: blueroofmusic at gmail.com