[IPP] Proposed Finishings 2.0 change: require "finishings-col-database" to not be returned by default - must be explicitly requested

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Feb 1 23:43:52 UTC 2016

Smith,

I've added this to the list of issues in Finishings 2.0.

I'd have my concerns about having this be a MUST NOT since it might break existing Clients, but perhaps we could do something like:

Printers SHOULD NOT return the "finishings-col-database" attribute in response to a Get-Printer-Attributes request unless the Client supplies the "requested-attributes" operation attribute with the value 'finishings-col-database'. Clients SHOULD supply the "requested-attributes" operation attribute whenever they require the current "finishings-col-database" value.

But we need to do a little research on this and make sure we don't break anything... :/