[IPP] Question about PWG 5100.7 and "document-format-details"

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Mar 17 22:54:49 UTC 2016

Smith,

> On Mar 17, 2016, at 6:11 PM, Kennedy, Smith (Wireless Architect) <smith.kennedy at hp.com> wrote:
>
> Wouldn't this be an instance of that?  I am guessing you have in mind more something like a late notice of a constraints conflict like "sides" = 'two-sided-long-edge' and "media-type" = 'transparency', but this seems like a similar condition - two attributes that have conflicting values.

RFC 2911 says the following about client-error-conflicting-attributes:

   13.1.4.15 client-error-conflicting-attributes (0x040E)

   The request is rejected because some attribute values conflicted with
   the values of other attributes which this document does not permit to
   be substituted or ignored.  The Printer object MUST also return in
   the Unsupported Attributes Group the conflicting attributes supplied
   by the client.  See sections 3.1.7 and 3.2.1.2.

Given that PWG 5100.7 does not say anything about conflicting values or substitution, I'm not sure client-error-conflicting-attributes makes sense.

(seems like we should file an issue for this so we can track an eventual errata update for 5100.7, which needs a fair amount of work...)