[IPP] [PWG5100.6] Issue #30: "overrides-supported": 'document-numbers' should be conditionally required depending on "multiple-document-jobs-supported" = 'true'

Zehler, Peter Peter.Zehler at xerox.com
Thu May 5 15:11:07 UTC 2016

All,

If I remember correctly, the printer must accept the “document-numbers” in a client request even if the printer only supports single document jobs.  For a single document job, and a printer that supports either single or multiple document jobs,  the following attribute values in request containing an "overrides" attribute would all be equivalent:
"document-numbers": '1: 2147483647', (i.e., all my documents)
"document-numbers": '1: 1', (i.e., my first document)
"document-numbers" omitted (i.e. all my documents)

The client may specify a subset of documents to which the override is applied.  The implication of not specifying is that the overrides applies to all.    The printer must accept and understand all of these.  A client specifying a document number that does not exist is ignored since the override applies only to the pages/documents/document-copies specified for the override.

I think it is simpler and cleaner to keep the primary specification of the override target (i.e., pages and document) mandatory for the printer to support in a request while the edge case (i.e., document-copies) remains optional.

Peter Zehler
Xerox Corp.
Global Development Group
800 Phillips Rd, 111-04A