[IPP] Fwd: AD review of draft-sweet-rfc2910bis-07.txt

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 13:50:51 UTC 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Alexey Melnikov <aamelnikov at fastmail.fm>
Date: Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 9:57 AM
Subject: AD review of draft-sweet-rfc2910bis-07.txt
To: Ira McDonald <blueroofmusic at gmail.com>, Michael R Sweet <
msweet at apple.com>
Cc: art-ads at ietf.org, Barry Leiba <barryleiba at computer.org>

Hi,
Below is my AD review. Most of these are minor and I am happy to start IETF
LC right away, but I need a new version to address the issues I found:

A small note about referencing "Model" (rfc2911bis). This is an issue with
generated HTML, but text like:

   The first three fields in the above diagram contain the value of
   attributes described in Section 3.1.1 of the Model.

produces a link that points to rfc2910bis and not rfc2911bis. Something
like:

  ... Model [rfc2911bis].

would be better. This can probably be sorted out by the RFC Editor, but you
might want to fix this yourself.

Issues found by ID-nits:

  == Unused Reference: 'IANA-CON' is defined on line 1508, but no explicit
     reference was found in the text

 -- I suggest removing the reference.

  ** Obsolete normative reference: RFC 1903 (Obsoleted by RFC 2579)

 -- It looks like updating to RFC 2579 is the right thing here.

** Downref: Normative reference to an Informational RFC: RFC 2818.

    -- This is Ok, already in the DownRef registry. So just ignore this.

Other issues:

In Section 3:

The first reference to a charset needs a reference to RFC 2978.

In 3.2:

   begin-attribute-group-tag = %x00-02 / %x04-0F ; see section 3.5.1

s/%04/%x04

(you are missing "x", without it the ABNF is not syntactically valid).

3.8.  Value Length

   For any of the types represented by binary signed bytes, the sender
   MUST encode the value in exactly one octet.

Can you give me an example? Are you talking about booleans or something
else?

In 8.1.2:

      IPP Clients and Printers MAY support Basic
      Authentication [RFC7617] for User Authentication if the channel is
      secure.

I think you need to expand on what "secure" means here. I think you meant
that TLS was successfully negotiated and the TLS server identity was
verified successfully by the client.

In Section 9:

When you mention IPP/2.0, 2.1 or 2.2, you should have a Normative reference
to relevant specs, because you use them in a SHOULD-level requirement.

In Appendix B:

           This section is strictly informative.  The MIME media type
listed in
this section should not be re-registered by IANA when this document
is published.

I think this is wrong. The IANA registration template is out of date. It is
missing "Change Controller", etc. See RFC 6838, section 5.6.

So I think this needs to be updated and also mentioned in the
IANA Considerations section.

Best Regards,
Alexey