[IPP] Stable draft of IPP Finishings 2.1 posted for review

Zehler, Peter Peter.Zehler at xerox.com
Mon Aug 29 13:39:40 UTC 2016

All,
I would hope in your discussions that the definition of the PWG/IPP coordinate system in IPP Finishings 2.1 (section 5.2), RFC2911 (section (4.2.10), PWG 5100.3 (section 2.4), PWG 5108.01 (Section 2.5) and other places I'm sure.  There seems to be a disconnect (i.e., disagreement on coordinate system root) between the Semantic Model and IPP that should be addressed.

When it comes to finishing it has been my understanding that

1)      The End User would express their intent (read that in the UI) based on WISYWIG or based on document content and intended media layout.

2)      The IPP Client software would represent the End User intent in IPP as though the desired output is in the portrait orientation.  IPP assumes text is laid out from left to right and top to bottom regardless of the content.  The result is a normalized coordinate system on the wire.

3)      The IPP Printer software would process the normalized End User intent and make the necessary modifications based on device configuration.  The modified End User intent and/or document data is passed onto the interpreter/marker/finisher for document production.
The necessary "impedance matching" between the end user and IPP, and between IPP and the physical printer, is handled in the IPP Client and IPP Printer software respectively.
Pete

Peter Zehler
Xerox Corp.
Global Development Group
800 Phillips Rd, 111-04A
Webster NY, 14580-9701
Email: Peter.Zehler at Xerox.com<mailto:Peter.Zehler at Xerox.com>
Office: +1 (585) 265-8755<tel:%2B1%20%28585%29%20265-8755>