[IPP] Outline of IPP Resource Object for System Service Spec

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 23:05:40 UTC 2016

Hi Mike,

I understand your reservations about 'created' (although it's a proper
ISO 10175 state that was perhaps erroneously omitted in IPP/1.1).

I have STRONG reservations about easily misinterpreted compound
state names like 'pending-install'

I've been working on the spec for two days for a release (I hope) later
this week.

I could live with these values of "resource-state":

'pending' - result of Create-Resource

'available' - result of Send-Resource-Data OR keep 'pending' and
set 'resource-incoming' in "resource-state-reasons" (if delayed)

'installed' - result of Install-Resource OR keep 'available' and
set 'install-requested' in "resource-state-reasons" (if delayed)

'canceled' - result of Cancel-Resource OR keep 'installed' and
set 'cancel-requested' in "resource-state-reasons" (if delayed)

'aborted' - result of System decision after any failure of
Send-Resource-Data or Install-Resource (or their delayed
completion

Primary state transitions should NEVER occur until the work
is finished (e.g., delayed install due to wait-for-reboot) - they
should be correctly foreshadowed by state reasons (as above).

I've added Resource History phase and written the 300 seconds
minimum duration stuff (I still can't find the IETF or PWG spec
where we put this for Job History, but I clearly remember this
discussion a long time ago with Pete Zehler).

I'll happily abandon Send-Resource-URI, but I point out that this
means that many Resources cannot be installed by a limited
capacity mobile phone (e.g., licensed fonts are typically on a
managed server before installation on a printer or app server).

There is a problem with having the Job specify "resource-ids"
for previously installed Resources, to whit, the scope of the
Resource (new value of "resource-job-id") changes AFTER the
Resource is created.  How then would the System know to
automatically cancel the Resource after the Job completes?
Instead, I imagined submitting the the Job into 'pending-held',
creating/uploading/installing any single-Job-scope Resources
with proper values of "resource-job-id".  Please puzzle this one
out a bit more.  I suppose/presume there's a similar ambiguity
for a Printer-scope Resource?

BTW - Although I reorganized section 6 into subsections for
Printer, Resource, System, and Subscription operations, this
made a thorough mess of all the cross-references to section 6
(not to be fixed up in this next draft, probably - I'm trying to get
at least something in for all the model comments from the F2F).

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
mailto: blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Jan-April: 579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176  734-944-0094
May-Dec: PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839  906-494-2434