[IPP] Why are some attributes that provide a dateTime data type allowed to specify "no-value" while others are not?

Kennedy, Smith (Wireless Architect) smith.kennedy at hp.com
Sun Oct 2 05:30:40 UTC 2016

Greetings,

While running the IPP Everywhere Self Certification suite against a printer that has no persistent clock, we saw several failures having to do with the state of some time related attributes. When I started digging into those attributes, I discovered that some attributes, such as "date-time-at-processing" or "date-time-at-completed", are defined as (dateTime | no-value) while others such as "date-time-at-creation" or "printer-current-time" are simply defined to be of type "dateTime". And yet the description of "printer-current-time" in even the latest draft of RFC 2911bis allowed the attribute to have the out-of-band value 'no-value'.

What is the right thing to do in these cases? And should it be acceptable if a Printer that lacks a clock reports 'no-value' for "printer-config-change-date-time"? If it is OK to return 'no-value' then I think tests I-9 and I-14 may need to be fixed.

Thoughts?

Smith

/**
    Smith Kennedy
    Wireless Architect - Client Software - IPG-PPS
    Standards - IEEE ISTO PWG / Bluetooth SIG / Wi-Fi Alliance / NFC Forum / USB IF
    Chair, IEEE ISTO Printer Working Group
    HP Inc.
*/