[IPP] Required real-time clock prevents System Service use by someprinters

wamwagner at comcast.net wamwagner at comcast.net
Sun Oct 2 16:20:03 UTC 2016

I am surprised to see the RTC (a term I have disliked since it means something else at the detailed hardware level) or NTP question come up again. This was an issue with the printer MIB 15 years ago, but since even the most minor device seems to have time keeping capabilities today, I did think it was an non-issue. Smith’s message suggests this may be wrong. But I suggest that any imaging system complex enough to concern itself with system functions will have timekeeping capability. Unless someone can come up with a real and valid example of a networked imaging device for which system service capability is appropriate that does not have timekeeping capability, I suggest that these time related attributes remain required.
Thanks,
Bill Wagner