[IPP] New stable draft of IPP Finishings 2.1 available for review

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Oct 5 19:58:46 UTC 2016

Smith,

> On Oct 4, 2016, at 1:32 PM, Kennedy, Smith (Wireless Architect) <smith.kennedy at hp.com> wrote:
> I started adding some text, and then it occurred to me that the value of "job-pages-per-set" has to be, or ought to be, an exact multiple of the total number of pages in the Job. I updated it thus:
> The RECOMMENDED "job-pages-per-set" Job Template attribute specifies the number of input pages that constitute a set for finishing processes.  The value of "job-pages-per-set" must be a multiple of the total number of pages of all Documents in the Job. For example, if a Client submits a 14 page PWG Raster Format [PWG5102.4] Document for printing that actually contains two copies of four duplex pages each, the Client could specify a "job-pages-per-set" Job Template attribute with a value of 7, a "sides" attribute with a value of 'two-sided-long-edge', and a "finishings" attribute with a value of 4 (staple) to have the Printer staple two Sets of four sheets. Figure 4 shows a graphical representation of this example.
>

> That sentence I added makes clear how the pages taken from one or more Documents in a Job relate to the value found in this attribute, assuming there isn't some way that finishings could be set per-document in a Job. (Hoping that isn't possible...)

Actually, it is.  "finishings" and "finishings-col" are both Job Template and Document Template attributes, and the "overrides" attribute also allows finishings overrides that apply to 1 or more documents (for things like mail merge use cases...)

"job-pages-per-set" needs to be evenly divisible with either a) the total number of pages in all documents or b) the number of pages in each document (when "multiple-document-handling" is 'separate-documents-xxx').