[IPP] "Get-User-Supported-Values" operation?

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Sat Jan 14 18:45:33 UTC 2017

Ira,

> On Jan 14, 2017, at 11:45 AM, Ira McDonald <blueroofmusic at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Smith,
>
> I agree with Mike that this operation should not be added to IPP System
> Service.
>
> I question the need for this operation.
>
> An IPP job service implementation can filter a Get-Printer-Attributes
> response already based on authenticated user identity.

>From a practical perspective, Get-Printer-Attributes is never authenticated because clients do not support that usage. So no, we can't just use Get-Printer-Attributes...

Right now clients need to use Validate-Job (which *is* authenticated for printers that do authentication of print jobs) in order to validate the choices a user has made.

> What new functionality would this putative operation add to IPP?

It would be defined as an authenticated version of Get-Printer-Attributes that explicitly filters the values based on the authenticated identity of the requestor.