[IPP] OAuth in IPP and the "oauth-authorization-server-uri" IPP attribute

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Jul 24 20:33:15 UTC 2017

Smith,

PWG 5100.18 is IPP INFRA... :)

The "oauth-authorization-server-uri" Printer Description attribute specifies the OAuth server that the printer uses (and thus the client must use to obtain a bearer token) - this is needed because RFC 6750's WWW-Authenticate header does not include the authorization server...

OAuth Bearer tokens (used for HTTP authentication) do NOT rely on redirection, but instead use a cached token string that the Client obtains by going to the auth server.  Think Github API tokens...

The "access-oauth-token" member attribute contains the bearer token for the specified remote resource, and is how you provide third-party access to a resource.  The "access-oauth-uri" points to the OAuth server used.  The Printer uses the "access-oauth-token" value in the HTTP Authentication field, e.g.:

    Authentication: Bearer dflkjfler232rsdlfkj45efdlk12fasf