[3D Printing] Initial draft of IPP 3D Printing Extensions posted

Olliver Schinagl o.schinagl at ultimaker.com
Mon Feb 2 20:30:32 UTC 2015

Hey all,

line 243 talks about the SLC, A quick search shows this as a 'cad slice
file'? I was under the impression that the STL file, is a 3D description
only, aka *Standard Tessellation
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tessellation> Language*.

The STL wikipage does mention SLC briefly as something by 3D-systems
from 1994.

Possible something I don't know everything about.

Also here, my knowledge might be a bit short, but s3g mentioned on line
248 talks about a simple network protocol and file format. Afaik, s3g is
a binary representation for gcode, with all the machine specific bits
added. E.g. makerbots talk only s3g for example, and don't understand
gcode, wheres most other 3d printers talk plain old gcode. This is
brought up again in line 297 and I'm not sure the advantages are correct.
P.S. early experimentation showed that a binary representation of pure
gcode did not save much bandwith.

253: 3.1 Use Cases
I know there are some people that mount webcams on their printers.
Something unthinkable for 2D printers. 3D printers can take ages and the
first few layers can be crucial. People use camera's to monitor this
behavior and allow people to be kept up to date on the status. I do see
this mentioned on line 316.

253: 3.1 Use Cases
Jane prints an item on a monochrome printer, and wants to change
materials at certain predefined layers (taken into account by the
slicing software). The printer prints the first few layer with material
A, and when it is ready to switch to a new material (color) it notifies
Jane to swap the material.

This use case will be valid for quite a while. Even when there are
multi-material printers, one may still have to change the material as
they go.

254: 3.1.1 Print a 3D Object.
Just nitpicking, but: While in the future this is how we'd love to do
it, Also take into account that you have a lot of 'monochrome' printers
on the network, so Jane may pick a printer based on the material that's
already in the printer. Just something to keep in the back of your head.
I imagine that a network admin just names the printer based on the
available material and that'll be that.

258: 3.2 Exceptions.
Not being a hard error, but there's also the feeder 'skipping' and not
able to output enough filament, due to whatever reason (misaligned
bed?), in other words, the fillament throughput speed is not what is
expected.

Misaligned-bed causing the print not to adhere properly.

Other reasons that the material won't properly stick to the bed causing
failures int he result.

Full build-plate. Jane starts a print, but there is still an object on
the printer.

For some reason a motor is skipping potentially causing it to hit
end-stops ruining the print in the process.

Obviously some of these things cannot be detected at all or not for a
while anyway.

294: Note that the firmware is also always evolving adding more and more
status as demand requires :)

302: I can't speak for all printers obviously, but a lot of them are
simply usb to serial converters, where gcode is sent serially.

305: yeah, future additions are probably required as things go on.

318: I know some repraps move the whole head up/down, and the platform
moves forward/backward, or left/right.

327: And keep everything above the extruder cool. E.g. cold material in,
hot material out, without leaking any heat from the hotend to the cold end.

329: And lamps may be used by some printers to light up the build plate!

341: If FDM ever moves to some form of filament that is not solid, there
will also be a reservoir. Though I ponder, what is the difference
between the fillament on a spool, and a reservoir?

342: The Extruders are sometimes seen as the E1 and E2 axis

349 & 351: The color directly relates to the material, though for some
materials, the color may not be important. Future printers may offer 2
colors/materials for a job only when they have dual extruders.

357: While the feeder provides material in nanometers per second, we
feed to achive a volume of extruded material.

365: short list ;) i'm sure theres many more. For example, bronze-filled
PLA, conductive PLA just to get the neurons going

383 - 390: Look at the Cura (advanced)settings we offer already; i
imagine we don't even expose all settings that could be tweaked.

393: I'd call it ... something support-ish but not support (we call it
support atm I think), none, skirt, raft, brim.

402: Missing are the print speed of the outer shell and the inner
shell(s). And layer height of inner shell(s). Outer shell is the generic
overal layer height I imagine.

403: Support is a science of its own. There's quite a few methods of
printing support. Additionally, as you suggest one could print support
with a different material, or, print only a few layers (the connecting
layers) with a different material, wax for example, but the rest of the
support with regular material. The fine tuning herein could be within
the printer, but if you expose it as you do now, then keep in mind of
future changes as well.

412.5 Print chamber temperature (integer | no-value) Some printers come
with a heated chamber/temperature stable chamber. While a patented
technology, it's nice to account for it, if there's a fan to regulate
the chamber temperature (faster lowering), I'd expect the printer to
handle that by itself simply based by the chamber temp

415.5 I suppose one could argue a fan for exhaust may be controllable or
should be handled by the printer at all times.

441: Not sure what you mean, sounds like an integer representation of
439, but not sure what that would mean however. Layer height?
Additionally, infill has various other attributes, layer height of the
infill, speed of the infill.

448: interesting point, I guess that's the model rotation. Is this a
cups attribute? in that case, you'd need all 90 degree angles, X, Y and
Z, not just Z? Rotation is often performed to improve print-ability.

505: Print chamber temperature

515: Yeah, absolutely check what our software also has as changable
features, there's quite a lot ;) I see a few things here that I may have
mentioned along the lines aswell.

532: I haven't checked all that out, as it's all related to the above.

560: As you say, hampered by openness. We really can't support something
as a standard, if it's not open. Btw, Cura has support for AMF ;)

647: Me! ;)

Overal, you talk about nanometer scales on certain items, but some
depend on the size of the nozzle and ideally should be rounded to
multiple nozzle sizes. Though I expect this for the printer to sort out
itself.

Hope this helps a little,

Olliver

On 01/23/2015 11:32 PM, Michael Sweet wrote:
> All,
>
> I have posted an initial draft of a white paper describing a potential extension to IPP for 3D Printing to:
>
> 	http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/BOFs/3d-printing/wd-apple-ipp3d-20150123.docx
> 	http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/BOFs/3d-printing/wd-apple-ipp3d-20150123.pdf
>
> For discussion at the 3D Printing BOF on February 4th during the F2F.

Met vriendelijke groeten, Kind regards, 与亲切的问候
Olliver Schinagl
Research & Development
Ultimaker B.V.
http://www.ultimaker.com