[3D Printing] Response to the latest white paper

wamwagner at comcast.net wamwagner at comcast.net
Mon Oct 19 21:28:58 UTC 2015

Pleased to see the discussion. A few comments.
1. I agree that the current print flow (and existing variations)  should be documented, although perhaps not necessarily in Michael’s whitepaper.  I think it useful in considering a more ideal solution that all interested parties understand the current approach, and its advantages and problems.
2. The “reality of the situation on the ground right now” should be addressed, both to facilitate development and to provide a pathway to the future.  I suggest that that includes considering both relatively simple devices and those which, perhaps in the future,  have significant memory/cpu resources locally accessible.
3. As observed, security concerns, both from the safety and information protection perspectives, are critically important and are significant for both simply networked machines as well as cloud serviced machines.
4. Standards work differs from basic engineering in that it must attempt to anticipate the future while still addressing present problems. Although  difficult and often unsuccessful, it is important in allowing the orderly evolution of a technology. The alternative is usually a de facto standard doing whatever the most successful company has done, which is often suboptimum for others in the industry.
Thanks,
Bill Wagner