[Cloud] Minutes posted for face-to-face BOF

William Wagner wamwagner at comcast.net
Tue Dec 14 01:47:50 UTC 2010

Although I thank Michael for the prompt minutes, my take on the meeting and
what is reflected in the Minutes leads me to think that we have still not
settled on how the PWG is to approach Cloud Printing. I suggest that, if the
PWG is to have any input into this mode of printing, we really need to stop
the fragmented (and IPP Everywhere oriented) discussions; we need to agree
on what we are doing and we need to start doing it.

The one thing that I think we can agree on is the objective to encourage (if
not compel) Cloud Print implementers to use established PWG semantics. This
should allow greatest user satisfaction by providing both the print job
parameters best tuned to express user intent for his printing and, because
they are recognized by most printers, maximum availability of printer
devices. This holds whether the printer is customized to the syntax and
protocol of a specific Cloud Printing implementation or whether it is an
existing printer operating though a proxy.

At this point, I suggest that we need to define those semantic elements, and
it was my understanding that we had agreed to start work in defining the
Client/Cloud Print Provider interface elements, necessary for printing, at
this level. To my mind, this does not mean imposing a particular Job Ticket
structure, a registration procedure, a definition of protocols or anything
that is more reasonably the purview of the implementers or of the various
other standards organizations that have their fingers in Cloud-XXX.

I solicit comment, agreement or dissention...but hopefully something on
which we can base concrete action.

Thanks,

Bill Wagner