[Cloud] Draft agenda/slide outline for February Cloud Printing BOF

Sarin, Suseelan suseelan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 03:19:18 UTC 2011

Hi!

I am not an active participant of this forum and I have limited experience
in printing domain. However, I would like to express my views in this list.

>>we could also encourage greater interoperability and thereby make more
devices available to users

>>I would therefore cast this outline as a review of these aspects in extant
or imminent Cloud Printing implementations rather than giving the impression
that we intend to specify these  things

I agree with the first statement. We have seen the difficulties of having
multitude of printer drivers in use today. If someone does not act now, the
same is going to happen with cloud. Right now Google has a cloud proxy and
it has its own protocol. Every other guy who enters this field is going to
float his own protocol, proxy/client apps (like our drivers) and other
specs. I feel PWG is the only forum which is in a position to do something
to prevent this from happening. However, if PWG just stops at reviewing what
is being used right now, it will not help us achieve the first aim. For
this, it is essential that PWG makes some specification, even though it
might be difficult to convince people like Google who are already in market.
But, I feel PWG should give it a try and while doing that they should review
the existing standards. However, this revision should be aimed at finding
and specifying the lowest common denominator that can be extended in future
with the cooperation of all the stake holders.

Regards,
Sarin

believed to be clean.