[Cloud] Fwd: NIST cloud defs

Petrie, Glen glen.petrie at eitc.epson.com
Fri Apr 15 21:22:31 UTC 2011

Michael,  I been investigating "Cloud Imaging" on the WWW.   Beyond
referring to actual imaging of clouds; it appears that Cloud Imaging is
associated with actual "images" (photo, picture, ...) and not with
printing (scanning, copying).  I am beginning to wonder if Cloud Imaging
is really the correct title for the PWG cloud activities.   Even
changing to Cloud Imaging Devices will still cause ambiguities with
"cameras".  Actually, going back to Cloud Printing would be more
identifiable by most technical people.  Anyone who will use PWG
specification would understand it applies to MFDs or to printer of any
size or complexity.  (Cloud MFD sound weird and Cloud Hardcopy is almost
as bad.) (Non-technical people (users) don't even know what PWG stands
for.)

So, what about Cloud Scan and Cloud Copy.  Can't we just us these
separate name.  Cloud scan, beyond some communication and security issue
(which are common is a lot of Cloud things), can be considered
independent of Cloud Print even if done by an MFD.

In summary, maybe the Cloud naming and activities should follow what is
being done in the MFD group.

Glen