[Cloud] NIST cloud def is now an SP draft

Paul Tykodi ptykodi at tykodi.com
Thu Apr 28 14:29:46 UTC 2011

Hi Glen,

Where the PWG semantic model virtualizes many of the functions an HCD can
perform, I have no problem accepting an iPhone as a conforming device if the
service features you are referencing are fully compliant with the PWG
Semantic Model. If they are developed to be compatible with some other
specification, then I think the iPhone example would be out of scope.

I think the issue is more one of developer intent (example: a third party
develops a virtual printer client for the iPhone so that users can
authenticate themselves with their relevant organization, execute a print
job, have it routed to the virtual printer client on the iPhone, and then
pass the information <i.e. stream> to a kiosk printer in close proximity to
where they are currently located). In this example, you would probably want
the virtual printer to conform to PWG Semantic Model in order to gain
compatibility with IPP Everywhere and Cloud standards.

When building a PDF creating driver for the iPhone, I'm not sure that a
developer would worry too much about PWG Semantic Model unless maybe
metadata transmission of the PDF to an external print service was a
requirement.

So I am comfortable with a broad Cloud Imaging definition like the one Mike
proposed with the caveat that in scope versus out of scope will mostly be
determined by conformance with the PWG Semantic Model definitions of
services.

Helpful?

Best Regards,

/Paul