[Cloud] Minutes posted for today's face-to-face meeting

larryupthegrove larryupthegrove at comcast.net
Fri Dec 9 19:40:17 UTC 2011

I have been testing a number of the different solutions being offered as
"cloud printing".  The offerings have differences as to printers supported,
OS, file types, and add-on software requirements.   Looking at these
offerings as an end user, I would need over 8 different solutions to be able
to print from my choice of device to a specified printer.

One thread of more common use appears to be using the Google cloud print as
the input system, then delivering to a printer via email (HP) or other
method.

I share Randy's concern - for an enterprise the number of various solutions
looks like the number of developers * OS * Number of different devices *
type of connectivity * printer type *PDL **** (N!).

I will work on a spreadsheet with some of the more common "cloud" solutions
- even though some of them appear to just be an alternative infrastructure.

When I looked at the slides from early in the PWG, they seem to make sense
as to direction.  Maybe there is a way to refine those slides as to a flow
diagram, that shows the points where the standards will provide commonality.
With the ability for developers to rapidly deploy applications and solutions
(like using Android market), it seems the length of time as to publishing
guidelines or a structure could be shortened.  An example could be a job
ticket will be specified, service will have to accept or respond with items
unavailable/unsupported.

Larry