[Cloud] Cloud printing - user/implementer perspective

larryupthegrove larryupthegrove at comcast.net
Tue Dec 13 21:49:58 UTC 2011

I hope that my thoughts from being a user, designer,  and implementer at an
enterprise may add to this conversation.  I have installed thousands of
devices, and designed and implemented multiple types of printing systems on
different operating systems.

Enterprise expectation - a print job sent from any user to any device will
have a consistent appearance, regardless of driver type, operating system,
or originating application.

Printing system efficiency.  Since a low percentage of operations requiring
print run on a 24/7 basis, current print systems are idle and unused a
significant portion of the time.  Trying to virtualize the servers conflicts
with lowering bandwidth usage by having servers located near the printers.
The level of effort to add print devices/queues, maintain driver currency
(across multiple servers), and monitor print activity is significant.  At an
enterprise level print servers are expensive when looking at requirements
for redundancy, multiple connections, monitoring tools, and governance
requirements.

Print connections used - direct IP from workstation, Windows Print servers
using 9100 socket or LPR/LPD, several direct Unix print methods, Novell,
Apple, AS/400 and Z/OS both direct and via print servers.  Very few
connections were IPP (mostly due to security requirements on server).  Many
printers were part of a fan-in (multiple systems) or fan-out (reporting
systems, workflow, audits).  Multiple uses of print server to print server
to meet network segmentation requirements for incoming and outgoing print
connections (passing through VPN and a DMZ).

Push and pull type printing - need to be able to initiate the job transfer
from either end, either scanning from device, or printing initiated from the
"cloud".  If an application is hosted in the cloud, and generates scheduled
output, need to be able to route without user for day end reports,
transactions, etc.

The definition of cloud printing varies depending on perspective or
position.  If I host a print server at Amazon (typical Windows 2008r2 with
drivers), with printers attached over the network, have I created a cloud
solution?  I'm working on the spreadsheet of offerings I have tested, will
have it posted prior to meeting next week.

I can provide specifics on any of the items above.  I'm thinking about
Michael's request.

Larry Upthegrove