[Cloud] Cloud white board diagram from meeting - converted tovisio/pdf

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon May 14 17:06:24 UTC 2012

On May 14, 2012, at 9:10 AM, Ira McDonald wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> I agree with your observations below.
>
> Except that the Associate Receipt and Register Receipt below
> should be simply Associate Response and Register Response
> (consistent w/ other PWG SM operations Request/Response).

Fair enough.

> They are quite different from a JobReceipt (an ornamented
> original User's JobTicket w/ actual chosen and defaulted
> values per the Job processing <service>).
>
> And in IPP and PWG SM, we're thinking the Subscription-like
> paradigm, so the operations are called CreatePrintAssociation
> and CreatePrintRegistration (at least that's what Pete and I
> have assumed).

I would prefer CreateClientAssociation and CreateManagerRegistration (to keep with our current terminology) or just CreateAssociation and CreateRegistration since these are not service-specific. On the Client side I would expect that association will provide access to all services "shared" (registered) through the Cloud via the service endpoint provided in the response.

On the Cloud Print Manager side I would expect the manager to provide the service (or list of services) it wants to register along with any descriptive information - initially we are just talking about Print, but why have/force separate Create<service>Registration operations for the common MFD use case? Again, following the subscription interface we have in IPP, you can (today) create multiple subscriptions with a single operation and the response contains the corresponding list of subscription IDs - we'd use URIs for the Cloud Print Services.

> We don't use Subscribe as an operation in PWG SM - I don't
> think the Cloud abstract operations should be called simply
> Associate and Register.  They also both should have input
> parameters of the lease time for the created object - nothing
> is forever...

Unless you ask for "forever" and the service allows it... :) IPP Notifications already support this use case...

believed to be clean.