[Cloud] Cloud Imaging and IPP Printer and Print Job States

William A Wagner wamwagner at comcast.net
Mon Jan 28 16:30:21 UTC 2013

Hi Kelly,

To elaborate a bit more on the distinction between the work of the IPP WG
and the Cloud Imaging Model WG:

1.       The Cloud WG is working on a "model" of Cloud Printing based on the
PWG Semantic Model. The intent is to later expand this model to address all
"Imaging" services using Cloud-based intermediaries.

2.       The concept is that once a general model is agreed to, it will be
up to the IPP WG group to specify an IPP binding and the Semantic Model WG
to develop a Web Services binding.

3.       The main contributions of the Cloud Group at this point have been
in identifying areas that the Semantic Model WG has had to work on,
specifically the PWG Job Ticket and the additional "reverse" set of
operations by which an Imaging Service (such as provided by a printer) must
initiate communication with a Cloud-based intermediary to allow the
interchange normally initiated by the Client.

4.       The initial idea was to handle Cloud Printing within the IPP WG,
but the membership decided that a model not restricted to a specific binding
was preferable.

5.       This Cloud Imaging  model is intended to be consistent with the
Semantic model, and I expect will eventually be absorbed into the Semantic
Model effort.

6.       The earlier Print Job Ticket Mapping activities, which have now
been transferred to the Semantic Model WG, correlate Semantic Model elements
with the Printer Capabilities and Print Job Ticket structures based on PPDs
or XPS (MSPS), approaches used by  existing Cloud Print Services. One intent
of this effort was to encourage some degree of compatibility  between
current Cloud Print Services and the PWG Semantic Model.

7.       However, creating a model to address interoperability with current
or  potential 3rd party Cloud Print Services is not a part of the current
charter of the Cloud WG, although some aspects of compatibility with some
extant implementations are occasionally considered.  This is perhaps a
deficiency, but this path was taken  because no standard exists for Cloud
Print Services and existing services are considered as offering inadequate
flexibility to  Users. However, the Cloud WG would welcome input and
requests from those familiar with and/or planning Cloud Print Services.

Thanks,

Bill Wagner