[Cloud] Cloud Print Manager Operations

William A Wagner wamwagner at comcast.net
Mon Apr 1 17:21:04 UTC 2013

Mike,

As I indicated, this was a draft for discussion. I am not particularly
convinced that I like all of these descriptions.

But, as I indicated in my comments to the proposed introduction, I am
uncomfortable with the notion of the semantic model defining an interface to
an 'Output Device' which does not contain a Print Service. By my
understanding, the Semantic Model defines the interface  between a Client
function and a logical imaging Service. I would extend that to say that
something that accepts that interface IS an imaging service. By saying that
an Output Device (which I understand to represent a physical entity
equivalent to a Print Device) does not contain a Print Service is contrary
to the MFD Model spec definition (which, I admit, I wrote.)

Even by my understanding of RFC 2911 (which is less clear after 14 or so
years), IPP   deals with the interface  between client software (including a
client component  within a print server) and an IPP Printer (which may or
may not be contained in an Output Device. ) Granted, the RFC also indicated
that IPP may or may not be used between an IPP Printer (a logical entity)
and an Output Device (a physical entity, I think). But the software
component in the Output Device is not named, and therefore suggests a
confusing logical to hardware interface.

At any rate, since I am thinking about the MFD Model spec update, I would
like to get this issue resolved to consensus.

Thanks,

Bill Wagner