[Cloud] Minutes posted from today's Cloud Imaging WG concall

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 14:58:04 UTC 2013

Hi Randy,

My mistake here.

When I wrote all the original System, Service, Subunit, etc. classes for
PWG SM 2.0 schema in the PWG WIMS project, I wrote only WSDL 2.0.

I mistakenly thought that Pete has been releasing WSDL 2.0 since then.

If we issued PWG SM 2.0 XML Schema w/ WSDL 2.0, a *lot* of the
heavy lifting for REST and other bindings would be done.

Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
Chair - TCG Embedded Systems Hardcopy SG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 10:34 PM, Randy Turner <rturner at amalfisystems.com>wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>

> The RESTful mapping specification could be written using WSDL 2.0,  but I
> don't think we currently  have a WSDL 2.0 schema anywhere…the namespaces
> between WSDL 1.1 and 2.0 are quite different, and the structure of a 2.0
> WSDL looks a bit different than a 1.1.
>
> Ira pointed out that we might be able to use a single spec for both
> RESTful and WS-* mappings, but I'm not sure if that's going to work - it
> might - I just haven't seen it done.  IBM has a raft of WSDL 2.0 RESTful
> specs, but they're ONLY RESTful WSDL 2.0 specs…not a combined WS-* /
> RESTful spec.
>
> I had a chat with a guy from Google and he indicated all of their web
> services (public facing) have RESTful implementations, and that the API
> specification is a very simple text-based document describing the URIs,
> parameters, and basic operation.  You don't have to know XML, XSD, or WSDL
> dialect to understand it.
>
> As an example of a text-based (non-standard) spec, the following link
> documents Google's "search" API:
>
> https://developers.google.com/custom-search/v1/using_rest#query-params
>
> I'm not opposed to using WSDL 2.0, but we may need a WSDL for WS-* and a
> separate WSDL (2.0) for REST.   I'm still looking into this.
>
> R.
>

> On Jun 17, 2013, at 6:25 PM, Michael Sweet wrote:
>
> Randy,
>
> On 2013-06-17, at 5:25 PM, Randy Turner <rturner at amalfisystems.com> wrote:

> I also wanted to make sure that the concept of registration ("I want to
> make my printer available to the cloud") is included -- I'm uneasy with
> some of the items we've talked about in the past being "out of scope" --
>  Without registration, nothing happens - there is no "service".  We may
> need to review a couple of other "out-of-scope" items to make sure we're
> not specifying an abstract model that can't be instantiated by something
> "concrete" that actually works.
>

> I think we are all now on the same page WRT registration.  As Glen likes
> to call it, our focus will be on "device registration" and not on the
> specific security/ACL implementation details - that will be IDS's
> bailiwick.  Thus, it will be possible to use the model with any security
> framework so long as it meets the basic requirements of the Semantic Model
> and whatever we come up with for requirements of Cloud.
>
> On a separate thread, I would like to "re-introduce" my proposal that we
> include a RESTful specification as one of our initial mapping documents for
> cloud imaging.
>

> There was some discussion about how we might document implementing the PWG
> model with existing cloud solutions - perhaps that could be part of the
> RESTful binding specification (as an informative appendix)?

> --
> believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.