IDS> DRAFT: IETF NEA proposal

Murdock, Joe jmurdock at sharplabs.com
Fri Aug 15 15:02:48 EDT 2008

Randy,

Don't confuse the explicitly vendor specific opaque "Configuration
State" value with the to be defined "Certification State".
Configuration State is not necessarily intended to be remediated
(except, perhaps, by some vendor supplied mechanism). Certification
State may, depending on its final definition, be remediable.

Joe Murdock

Sharp Labs of America

Hi Dave,

In the proposal, I just indicated that the "value" is a hash - it's
currently 32 bytes which only allows for a 256-bit hash. If we mandate
that it should be able

to hold a SHA-512 as well, we'll have to double it's length.  I think
just getting agreement for the existence of the attribute is the goal,
we can flex the size of the

field once we have consensus on the acceptance of the attribute.

I agree with your comment about which values to include in the hash, but
from a protocol perspective, the mechanisms would work pretty much the
same way.

Even though a vendor could allow customers to indicate which parameters
are included in the hash, the "management tool in the sky" would have to
know which

parameters make up the hash, on a per-device basis, in order to
potentially remediate the situation. Given this constraint, I think
vendors should supply a factory

default set of params that make up the hash, a set that makes sense in
the majority of cases, and allow customers to override this, provided
they "sync up" their

remediation infrastructure with the same info...

Randy