[IDS] HCD_PSTN_Fax_Enabled attribute

Randy Turner rturner at amalfisystems.com
Sat Aug 15 01:46:00 UTC 2009

Yes, allowing *anyone* to send faxes of confidential information is
definitely a security threat.  And while it may
bypass traditional network perimeter security mechanisms, it will not
completely bypass PBX/Centrex security mechanisms
that are designed to (at a minimum) log all PSTN traffic inbound and
outbound of a secure network, it can also apply policy
to fax transmissions if the "PSTN perimeter" security mechanisms
detect T.30 negotiation.

I think in general, the analog fax threat is more likely than a data/
fax modem exploit, but at the moment, NAC/NAP systems
only seem to care about the data network and not the PSTN network.

Interestingly enough, going back to my iFax comment awhile back, when
enterprises do fully adopt a "converged" packet-switched
topology, then everything can go through a common security policy
enforcement mechanism.

Randy

believed to be clean.