[IDS] Re: PWG XML schema for IDS Health attributes (25 May 2010)

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Wed May 26 17:15:03 UTC 2010

Hi Randy,

Yes - it's been an action item for me and Pete Zehler since before
the April F2F meeting.

If we want to be able to expose the IDS Health attributes in the MFD
Model and System object, then we needed a one-to-one mapping
of the abstract HCD attributes into XML schema elements.

Since Joe already added the abstract to XML datatypes mapping
table to the spec, I just did the easy stuff of naming and defining the
same attributes in an XML schema.

By the rules of the PWG Semantic Model, elements defined in the
SystemStatus group (instead of SystemDescription) can ONLY be
set by automata (the system) or by first-class operation (i.e., they
CANNOT be changed by a simple SetElements operation on the
System object).

Therefore the new SystemHealth element group will be added as
OPTIONAL to the end of the SystemStatus element group.

Does that help?

Co-Chair - TCG Hardcopy WG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com
winter:
  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
  734-944-0094
summer:
  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
  906-494-2434

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Randy Turner
<rturner at amalfisystems.com> wrote:

> Hi Ira,
>
> I'm the first to admit I've missed a couple of conference calls :)  Was this XML attribute document an action item for you?
> How will this be used?
>
> Thanks!!
> Randy
>

> On May 26, 2010, at 9:02 AM, Ira McDonald wrote:
>
>> Hi MFD and IDS folks,
>>
>> Draft posted at:
>>
>>  ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/mfd/white/health-20100525.xsd
>>
>> Cheers,
>> - Ira
>>
>> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 5:48 PM, Ira McDonald <blueroofmusic at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Pete,
>>>
>>> cc: Joe and Brian for IDS WG
>>>
>>> The attached XML schema completely encodes all elements
>>> defined in the current IDS HCD Attributes spec, following the
>>> XML schema datatypes mapping that Joe already added.
>>>
>>> The conformance requirements (from section 5 of that spec)
>>> are fully expressed in these elements and sequences.
>>>
>>> Liquid XML Studio and Architag Xray give no warnings/errors.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> - Ira
>>>

>>> Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
>>> Chair - Linux Foundation Open Printing WG
>>> Co-Chair - TCG Hardcopy WG
>>> IETF Designated Expert - IPP & Printer MIB
>>> Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
>>> http://sites.google.com/site/blueroofmusic
>>> http://sites.google.com/site/highnorthinc
>>> mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com