[IDS] Issue with PWG 5100.13 - Job and Printer Extensions - Set 3 (JPS3) margin-xxx media-col member attributes

Rizzo, Christopher Christopher.Rizzo at xerox.com
Wed Aug 5 17:25:58 UTC 2015

Dear PWG,

Before I get into the issue in the subject line - I'm wondering if, using my PWG account, it is preferable to go to the PWG web site and create a new issue tied to this document, or just email the issue to this group (so it can be vetted before an issue is created?) as I've done here?

I do not believe it is clear how the media-xxx-margin member attributes of the media-col collection are to be interpreted by a printer (Section 7.6 of PWG 5100.13).  media-col is a Job-Template attribute, and the printer's physical margins are already reported by the printer in the media-xxx-margin-supported attributes of the Get-Printer-Attributes response.  Since the printer already knows and reports its physical margin capabilities - why are these sent back to the printer as Job-Template attributes?

If the printer supports full bleed, then the printer already reports 0 for media-xxx-margin-supported.

Are these attributes instead intended to provide a modified boundary for marking the job on the page?  If so, how is the printer to respond if these margins are less than media-xxx-margin-supported values?  How is the printer to respond if the client sends values are so large they overlap and theoretically result in a blank page?  If scaling is also specified, how would that be related to margin values - should fit scaling be done to the specified margins?  Does cropping need to occur?

Thanks,
Chris

Christopher Rizzo
Xerox Corporation MS 7060-368