[IDS] Posted Interim draft of HCD Security Guidelines (01/20/20)

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 14:52:15 UTC 2020

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your good comments here.

All of the current warnings in the Internet Protocol Suite appendix are to
be moved to appropriate recommendations (with expanded rationales
and usage limitation suggestions). in section 4 (that's my TODO in the
change log).

I didn't do any of that yet, because I haven't yet *written* section 4 and
wanted to do the edits in the appendix based on Smith's IDS review
comment that I should carefully distinguish between the IETF defined
protocols in the IPS and the non-IETF protocols that can be used in the
IPS (e.g., Wi-Fi).

In automotive systems (where functional safety is paramount), use of
remote shells is forbidden entirely by both regulations and standards.

My own intuition is that remote shells should not be used in HCDs
because, if there is any implementation bug in the shell (e.g., SSH),
then a privilege execution attack becomes easy to implement.  Do
you disagree with that recommendation?

Co-Chair - TCG Metadata Access Protocol SG
Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
mailto: blueroofmusic at gmail.com
(permanent) PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839  906-494-2434
(to 30 April 2020) 203 W Oak St  Ellettsville, IN 47429  812-876-9970