[IDS] Posted Interim draft of HCD Security Guidelines (01/20/20)

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 15:56:20 UTC 2020

Hi Mike,

I wholeheartedly agree with your thoughts.

How about saying "if you need to support a remote shell for HCD
configuration updates, then you SHOULD use SSH and SHOULD
NOT use non-standard or proprietary shell protocols".  (I know we
should separate each of those imperatives into separate numbered
recommendations).

Among the Trusted Computing Group participants in the Network
Equipment WG, some still use SSH (all of them hate Telnet), some
use SNMPv3 over TLS, some are shifting to NETCONF (which is a
pain due to proprietary YANG modules, IMHO), and some still use
proprietary shell interfaces.  And quite a few don't have a single
solution across their product lines, unfortunately.

Co-Chair - TCG Metadata Access Protocol SG
Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
mailto: blueroofmusic at gmail.com
(permanent) PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839  906-494-2434
(to 30 April 2020) 203 W Oak St  Ellettsville, IN 47429  812-876-9970