IPP Mark your Calendars for December 12

Carl-Uno Manros cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com
Mon Nov 11 15:40:30 EST 1996

Hi,

I have just got confirmation from Harald Alvestrand that we have the BOF slot.

Note his view that ASN.1 will be a hard sell (if we should choose to
recommend that).

---
Carl-Uno,

you've got your BOF scheduled for Thursday, 1300-1500.

Please drop any updates to the agenda to me, Keith
and agenda at ietf.org.

Note that the anti-ASN.1 people will probably be out in force!

               Harald

---

Below is a copy of the Proposed Agenda that I sent Harald before our meeting
in New Orleans. I expect that we want to update it in light of our recent
discussions. Let us discuss this in the phone conference on Wednesday.

--
The purpose of the meeting is to evaluate the need for an Internet
Lightweight version of the ISO/IEC Document Printing Application

Proposed Agenda for the LDPA BOF in the IETF San Jose Meeting:

Introduction					        (10 mins)

History and Requirements				(30 mins)

	- What is wrong with RC 1179?
	- What are the current user and technology requirements?
	- What is the Document Printing Application (DPA)?

Presentation of the Lightweight DPA (LDPA) Draft	(30 mins)
	- Presentation of content
	- Work to date in the Printer Working Group (PWG)

Discussion and Resolution of Issues (if possible)	(30 mins)

	- What is the right level of "lightness" for LDPA?
	- Is there a need to coordinate with other IETF projects, e.g. Fax?
	- Do we need an RPC mechanism, such as RPC Protocol Spec V2 in RFC 1831?
	- What protocol marshalling mechanism(s) should be used? Should we
          use ASN.1/BER (e.g. LDAP), XDR, ASCII, or some other mechanism?
	- Security Requirements for LDPA?

Wrap-up					                 (10 mins)
	- Summary of discussion
        - List remaining issues to be resolved
        - Home work assignments
	- Make recommendation about further progress in IETF
----
Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Xerox Corporation