IPP> Re: New Internet-Draft Request (another idea on the protocol

IPP> Re: New Internet-Draft Request (another idea on the protocol

Robert Herriot robert.herriot at Eng.Sun.COM
Mon Nov 25 19:46:18 EST 1996

If I understood your proposed structure, it does not seem that a
standard HTTP reader could find the individual documents within a job,
rather a job looks like an opaque application.

With my proposal, a print operation appears to a standard HTTP reader
to be a series of 1 or more entities, where some entities are
opaque applications and others are documents in standard formats.

It's hard for me to enumerate advantages.  It's more a gut feeling
that the best solution is the one which uses an existing structure
as much as possible.  Then we take advantage of the structure
as it develops because a job is built from standard off-the-shelf
pieces.

In the simplest case a Print job may just consist of a single HTTP
entity of document data in a standard format. The Printer then infers
the job attributes according to defaulting rules.

Bob Herriot