Tom Hastings hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Tue Dec 3 12:25:37 EST 1996

File:  readme.txt

X/Open's Martin Kirk gave me permission to post the X/Open PSIS (to be
called XDPA) appendix D that contains how Sun, SCO, Xerox, IBM, HP, and Digital
have extended the BSD LPD print protocol in in-compatible ways.

He also calls attention to the fact that X/Open and the X device are
trademarks of X/Open Company Limited and that UNIX is a registered
trade mark in the United States and other countries, licensed exclusively
through X/Open Company Limited.  See attached mail, so we need to
indicate such trademarks in our presentations and specifications.

Thanks Martin...

This appendix should be ample evidence to the IETF community of the need
for the IPP standard and for the IPP standard and the working group to:

   "define extensibility paths to maximize interoperability and minimize
    conflict." - from our charter.

Otherwise, IPP will repeat the problems of LPD as vendors extend IPP.
See RFC 1179 for the base LPD protocol before extensions.

I have created a new sub-directory in the historic sub-directory:

  ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/historic/xopen-psis-xdpa/

which contains the LPD extension appendix D:

-rw-r--r--   1 pwg  pwg 280365 Dec  3 17:00 appendix-d-lpd-extensions.ps
-rw-r--r--   1 pwg  pwg  14848 Dec  3 17:23 readme.txt (this mail message)

(NOTE: The X/Open Systems Administration committee is in the process of
renaming PSIS (Print System Interoperability Specification to XDPA, so I have
maintained both names in the file name to avoid confusion)

Tom