IPP> BOF Presentation Comments

Don Wright don at lexmark.com
Tue Dec 3 14:08:12 EST 1996

I made Harry's suggested change except I changed "...browsers
for providing static..." to "...browsers to provide static..."  Rolls off
the tongue a little better.

Don

To: ipp%pwg.org @ interlock.lexmark.com @ SMTP
cc:  (bcc: Don Wright)
From: harryl @ vnet.ibm.com>" <harryl%VNET.IBM.COM at interlock.lexmark.com
("Harry Lewis) @ SMTP
Date: 12/03/96 10:41:04 AM
Subject: IPP> BOF Presentation Comments

I reviewed the 3 slide BOF presentation and have the following comments.

The first "foil" is a bit tongue tied in that it references Internet printing
AFTER initial set-up but later includes installation, configuration etc in
the IPP definition. Also, I think this paragraph makes unnecessary and unclear
distinctions between remote, local and lan printing. Below, I will include
the current wording followed by my recommended rewrite. Note, I also removed
the word "paradigm" because I believe Internet printing will be viewed as a
new paradigm.

> Internet Printing is the application of World Wide Web tools, programs,
> servers and networks to allow "end-users" to print to a remote printer
> using, after initial setup or configuration, the same methods, operations
> and paradigms as would be used for a locally attached or a local area
> network attached printer. This includes the use of HTTP servers and
> browsers for providing static, dynamic and interactive printer locating
> services, user installation, selection, configuration and status inquiry
> of remote printers and jobs.

Internet Printing is the application of World Wide Web tools, programs,
servers and networks to allow "end-users" to print using methods and
operations similar to those currently used for locally attached or LAN
printing in the platform dependent OS. Internet Printing will include the
use of HTTP servers and browsers for providing static, dynamic and
interactive print services location, printer installation, selection and
configuration as well as remote printer and print job monitoring.

Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems