IPP> Re: IPP over TCP

Randy Turner rturner at sharplabs.com
Wed Dec 11 19:08:34 EST 1996

Then there is the compromise solution: Do the spec and make it
transport independent (1 document), and then publish multiple
documents, each outlining a mapping to a specific transport so
the method is "standardized" for interoperability purposes
(documents 2 through n ), where 'n' is the number of transport
mappings we want to "standardize".

Another set of documents could also include a specification for
locating IPP services via one or more directory service
implementations.

I think separating the work of the working group into multiple
documents gives us a change to produce quality output with
realistic scope in a consistent timely fashion. Something like
every 4 to 6 months we have a draft document (somewhat final)
that includes a specification outlining functionality in
one of the functional classes I outlined above.

Randy

--
Randy Turner
Network Architect