IPP> What is it we really need?

Alex Bochannek abochann at cisco.com
Mon Jan 6 11:51:24 EST 1997

Well, I think it became quite clear from Angelo's email, that the
largest number of implementors (the folks who write the printer code)
will most likely not have the option of using anything even close to a
"stock HTTP server". They probably have better tools to write code
straight to a socket API than to their own HTTP server
implementation. And I can tell you from very recent experience that
printing directly to a printer, circumventing the intermediate step of
a print server, is not only something that small shops do since at a
certain point, print severs just don't scale anymore.

As far as the argument "existing system services", I am somewhat
concerned that this is oversimplified. One would have to look at this
on a case by case and protocol by protocol basis to see if this is
something that is applicable to IPP.

Lastly, from a router vendor's perspective, it is almost mandatory
that a new service is also implemented on a new port number if you
want to have any chance of filtering, prioritizing, or accounting for
it.

Alex.