IPP> What is it we really need? -Reply

Babak Jahromi babakj at MICROSOFT.com
Tue Jan 7 13:40:22 EST 1997

I did not say there is no need for stand alone network printers. I said
there is no dying need for them to be connected to Internet. That does
not mean they should not be connected to the private corporate networks.
I was implying that we should not dump HTTP becasue it is hard to
implement a Web server inside a printer. This is becasue the Web server
can always run on the computer, and the computer can interface with the
the network printer over the corporate network using whatever they are
using today, TCP/IP or IPX for printing, and SNMP on top of it for
management.

Again, I am not against improving network printers. I am just saying
that for Web printing to work, we also have the option of using the Web
software already available on the computers, rather than requiring all
printers to get embedded Web capability.

Babak