IPP> What is it we really need?

Bill Wagner bwagner at digprod.com
Tue Jan 7 16:12:31 EST 1997

     Harry,

     I agree with your observation. It is my underdstanding that the
     internet is not a thing in itself, it is what results from the
     interconnecting of individual networks. The idea of a printer on the
     internet versus a printer on a corporate network with internet access
     is very fuzzy. Perhaps the difference is the firewall. Many companies
     have printers with IP addresses, but very few have them outside the
     firewall (DPI does maintain one for remote demo purposes). Indeed,
     even within a given network, routers may restrict access to certain
     subnets. So perhaps a major distinction between IP printing  versus
     the WEB printing is addressing the question of the firewall.

     Bill Wagner