Alex Bochannek abochann at cisco.com
Wed Jan 29 10:22:06 EST 1997

Don,

> >I believe this to be incorrect. If I recall the protocol specification
> >correctly, you planned on using POST for everything. I would be
> >curious to find out how the client will create the IPP command
> >string that is sent in the POST.
>
> Here you are clearly wrong.  Lexmark's MarkVision for
> the WEB is able to provide printer and printer Queue status
> on unmodified, unassisted browsers today.  If our scenarios
> and models do not support this mode of operation then a
> grave design error has been made.

I hate to tell you Don, but with IPP, the way it is specified right
now, you DO need some assistant to your Web browser to query
status. How else would your client create the POST?

> >Exactly! And that was my counterargument against the "we can use
> >standard Web servers and browsers." You simply cannot.
>
> Again, you are flat wrong in assuming that adding a redirector means
> I can't use the existing browser.  Once I have users accustomed to an
> interface i.e. a browser, then adding a plug-in or a new redirector
> (replacing or supplementing their IPX/SPX, NetBEUI, etc. redirector)
> why not stick with it?

OK, I think I finally figured out were our disconnect is. When you say
"standard browser" you are talking about a UI paradigm while I assume
you mean a standard HTTP client. Rememeber I proposed a while back
that the TCP mapping could use a URL scheme of "ipp://..."? Well,
there you go, you keep your UI paradigm, and I keep the transport
mapping.

> Call me a fool, but I have no interest in inventing a new TCP stream
> and requiring firewall makers to open up that stream for clients
> inside a firewall.  While "public" printers will need to be outside
> the firewall for this HTTP mapping to work.  Clients can be anywhere.

Call me a fool (one that has to maintain a firewall), but I would be
more than happy if I can filter print requests by port number.

--
Alex Bochannek                 Phone & Fax : +1 408 526 51 91
Senior Network Analyst         Pager       : +1 408 485 90 92
Cisco Systems, Inc.            Email       : abochannek at cisco.com
170 West Tasman Drive, Bldg. E Pager Email : abochannek at beeper.cisco.com
San Jose, CA 95134-1706, USA