Carl-Uno Manros cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com
Wed Feb 12 15:36:55 EST 1997

At 10:16 AM 2/12/97 PST, you wrote:
>Classification:
>Prologue:
>Epilogue: Roger K deBry
>Senior Techncial Staff Member
>Architecture and Technology
>IBM Printing Systems
>email: rdebry at us.ibm.com
>phone: 1-303-924-4080
>
>At last weeks security meeting in El Segundo, we discussed several possible
>configurations for printing, one which was a client behind one firewall
and the
>printer behind another, different firewall. For example, I want to send a
copy
>of
>an internet draft to a public printer at Xerox and have Carl-Uno pick it up.
>
>It seems that this kind of operation requires some additional job attributes,
>like
>o who the output is for
>o what that person's address is
>o how to deliver it
>o instructions to notify the intended recipient when print is complete
>o etc ...
>
>any thoughts???

Roger,

let us not get carried away with a whole new set of attributes to solve
this scenario.
I suggest that the following two IPP features would cover it:

1) Have an attribute which contains a text to be displayed on the banner
page (which most network printers already have).

2) Allow for multiple addresses in a "send notifications to" attribute,
which would allow not only the owner of the job, but also others to be
notified, of success or failure events.

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros at cp10.es.xerox.com