Tom Hastings hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Thu Feb 20 00:33:01 EST 1997

I've posted some comments on the printer-state, printer-state-reasons, and
printer-state-as-text IPP attributes:

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_MOD/

-rw-r--r--   1 pwg      pwg        20992 Feb 20 05:17
printer-state-comments-tnh.doc
-rw-r--r--   1 pwg      pwg        19424 Feb 20 05:18
printer-state-comments-tnh.pdf

Bob and I are proposing a drastically reduced set of printer states:
unknown, idle, processing (Bob prefers: printing), and mixed.

The printer-state-reasons attribute indicates:

  (1) orthogonical states, such as printer disabled from accepting Print
operations
      and printer paused (by operator) so maps cleanly to ISO DPA
  (2) printer conditions (binary change events from the Printer MIB).

I've copied the pmp list as well, to see if they agree with the idea
of how to represent all of the Printer MIB binary change events, both
critical and warning as values of the Printer's printer-state-reasons attribute.

Please send comments to the ipp list with "MOD -" as the first 5 characters
of the
subject line.

Thanks,
Tom